Skip to main content

Ground to a halt



A few weeks ago I got the middle finger of my right hand onto the grinding wheel of the pedestal grinder.

I was busy grinding spring steel pins on the side of the wheel for a crimping roller I was making. The next moment the pin slipped over the edge and my finger followed.

Now I must confess that my immediate steps after the accident were quite extraordinary taking my history into account. Usually, whenever I get hurt badly in the workshop, the first thing I do is to carefully take off my glasses and put it somewhere safe. I have a tendency to faint.

This time around I quickly switched off the grinder and went to the cupboard where we keep plasters for emergencies in the workshop. At that stage I acted quite calmly because I realised I had to stop the bleeding. Blood was by now dripping onto the ground. It helped to a degree but I knew I had to get to the house where my dad could help me to first clean the finger somehow, determine the damage and cover it properly.

After that was eventually done and having seen the wound and with the pain setting in, I then had to lie down. Finally, after talking to Matilda on the phone, we decided not to go to the doctor immediately. From what we could determine, although the upper front halves of my nail and finger tip were gone, the bone in the finger wasn’t damaged and in any case, the grinding wheel didn’t leave much to stitch up.

Now, with the finger almost healed, I can look back and assess what I have learned from or discovered anew through this experience. A few things:

-       All our fingers have a function. With one out of action the others struggle to grip or hold .1 Corinthians 12-like the one can’t say to the other: “I don’t need you.”
-       Somebody once said that the shin is an instrument with which you find things in the dark. It also applies to a sore finger and the period can be extended to day time in the case of the latter as well. It felt as if I bumped the finger against everything. Pain is a strange gift protecting the body in a lot of cases. A short plastic pipe that I put over my finger proved invaluable and I became so handy with it, especially in drying dishes, that I was almost disappointed when the time came that I could work without it. I felt as versatile as Gobber the Belch, the one legged, one handed Viking responsible for Dragon Training in How to train your Dragon.
-       The body’s ability to heal itself amazes me. With the results of the grinding wheel clearly to be seen I was wondering where my body would find material to fill the gap. Somehow it did. The spot is as even as before, although still tender and the nail has almost grown to its original shape. In all fairness, I used some of the wonder lavender cream that Matilda makes herself and I truly believe it hastened the healing process considerably. It works wonders with burns and other injuries as well. The trusted old water resistant plaster should also not be underestimated.
-       We do not value our bodies enough. We subject it to maltreatment by overeating, poor sleeping habits, substance abuse, neglect and still it serves us. Much more than we think. By merely looking at the abilities of the human hand, being able to gently caress and powerfully grip, one is witness to a miracle.
-       We are much closer to the extraordinary wonderful than we realise. In fact, the ordinary is holy.

Earth’s crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes –
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.”

                                                                                                  – Elizabeth Barrett Browning

-       Oh yes, one last thing: a grinding wheel is not suitable for doing one’s nails. Rather use the old hand held emery board. And always follow the rule: Go slow.

George

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda