Skip to main content

I should have


"I should have brought my camera along." Words that I have used more times than I care to remember, in moments I know that can never again be recaptured with the same intensity of light and life in it. It lives on in my memory, sometimes. But more often than not it fades away, lost forever.

I saw Red Riding Hood this morning. Driving down the small dirt road from the farm on my way to town, I enjoyed the misty greyness of an overcast morning. I always find that greenery seem to shine with an intense vividness against a background of grey sky as opposed to the brilliant blue of a sunny sky. With all the rain we've been blessed with since the beginning of Spring, the veld is lush with grass, the meadows smothered in wildflowers, and the deciduous pin oaks, planes and willows decked in the freshest of newly sprouted green. 

From afar the tiny spot of red against this backdrop shone like a traffic light. As I got closer, I saw it clearly. A red pointed hood and what looked like a short cape moving down the road ahead of me. Where the road takes a sharp bend to the right, it passes by a clutch of weeping willows standing ankle deep in the soggy marshland.

I caught up with the apparition short of this turn and thought: "I should have..." 

It was a farm worker on his bicycle, on his way to work, wearing a bright red hooded zippered top, dodging and diving down the badly eroded path, the green wall of willow ahead of him, the broody sky above.

I'm capturing it in words today for safekeeping. A very ordinary moment made spectacular by colour. 

Matilda  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda  

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.