Skip to main content

Not enough


I don’t LIVE enough. 
Alive, but missing. 
Missing in action.
Missing out.
Missing the point.
The moment.
Sunlight is wasted on me.
I walk oblivious of the gold in my hair.
Of the glowing in my skin I know only when the chill of nightfall replaces it.

Why do we know better through loss?

Why not stand and feel that one simple golden thread of breath that links the sky, birdsong, the sun, the incense of Spring flaming in purple petals?

So much goes on while we draw air and dispense of it. In that small unconscious act of survival a world stands at attention to witness it.





Breathing cannot be solely for this. We are made exquisitely sensuous. To go through a day and not be able to recall a scent, a colour, a touch, a feeling, a sound, a taste, is to be dead.
The door to life  nailed shut. Each breath one closer to the last I’ll take.
How often do I think this? When I write the date in my journal. One day closer. 

I panic. When I think of the things I make too little of.  I refuse Spring’s inviting hands, sitting with my back to the window, writing this.
Yet I refuse the words pushing to be born when I tumble mad with fragrance into the bed of purple iris.  

I refuse the books I don’t get to read, the clay I don’t get to touch. The many hours not spent truly relishing the people that I love. The causes I feel strongly about, but don’t defend. Years of feeding, clothing, teaching, fetching and taking my children. Not aware of the time that runs out while we do little more than breathe together.

How? How do I fit LIVING into my life? How do I not only accept the gifts so lavished on me, but unwrap them and truly
Truly
enjoy them?

I will forget this soon I know. I will forget to LIVE.

But in this moment I know: outside the breeze is teaching new leaves to dance in brilliant sunlight. A robin keeps the tune. I have a nice little laptop to write these words on. A glass of clean water stands next to my hand. Pictures of my beloved look me in the eye over the edge of the computer. I smile back at them.
I am aware of my clothes. The crisp feel of cotton, the leather thong between my toes. I have bitten my nails again. My fingertips are tender and some of them are sore.  I smell the lavender scenting my hand cream as I massage it into the hurt.

This is a moment I am not missing.

Matilda




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda  

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.