Skip to main content

Double Daily: A bird on my windowsill

 This little bloke kept me company all day long: his own reflection in the glass sliding door close to my study drove him crazy. He just had to show the little twirp who's territory this is.

If he could just get to him! I had to laugh at the antics and bullheadedness. I was tapping away haltingly at my keyboard, struggling to find the flow to a story that up till now has led me smoothly down interesting pathways. Why today was any different I don't know. There seemed to be an obstruction of sorts. Some invisible wall, much like the finch was experiencing.

Then I read the Daily placed by George. We don't coordinate of even plan ahead for the daily posts, enjoying each others input and marvelling at the scope that is represented in our respective lives.



                                   It is fabled that we slowly lose the gift of speech with animals, 
that birds no longer visit our windowsills to converse.
 As our eyes grow accustomed to sight 
they armor themselves against wonder."

He quoted Leonard Cohen. I marvelled at the synchronicity of these words with the visit of the finch on my "windowsill" today. I would like to touch on this fleetingly here and come back to it at some stage in my writing.

The concept of synchronicity,  or serendipity as it was called in the sixties, was put forward by Carl G. Jung, and he defined it as a "meaningful coincidence" of outer and inner events that are not themselves casually connected.  The emphasis lies on the word "meaningful.  He goes on to say: These events almost invariably accompany the crucial phases of the process of individuation. But too often they pass unnoticed, because the individual has not learned to watch for such coincidences and to make them meaningful in relation to the symbolism of his dreams.   Excerpt from Man and his Symbols by Carl G. Jung.

I know this to be true.In my journals of the past seven years I have a devised a symbol that I use to mark the occurrence of synchronicity in my life. I use a >> and it is my experience that it is indeed something that puts my life on fast forward, advancing me by leaps and bounds towards becoming all I can be.

So now I wonder: did I stop long enough to hear what this little finch was trying to tell me?

Matilda



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda