Skip to main content

Gauteng winter

Photograph by Derek Keats


Earth, my dearest, oh believe me, you no longer need your springtimes to win me over.... 

                                                                                                                 ~ Rainer Maria Rilke


I could have kissed him. Really. It’s not as if he was handsome, or sent my pulse racing. It’s just that he, after I’ve delivered the rollers at the factory and he was walking me back to the bakkie, casually said: “I love winter.”

I love people loving winter. The Gauteng winters. People living down in the Cape are not frowned upon when they talk in nostalgic tones about Cape winters. There it is more or less in vogue to love winter – rainy weather, the warm glow of fireplaces, a glass of wine. The mere sound of it all is cultivated.

With the winters in Gauteng it is different. My brother who lives in the Cape says everything north of the Vaal River is bleak and barren. I don’t have any defence, no counter arguments against that. All the tinsels in the world will not be able to let the landscape scorched by frost appear alive. Veld fires and the black scars left behind do not make for nice postcard images. And the squatter camps and cities that appear in the early mornings from under their blankets of smoke, have a close resemblance to the street children that wake up drab and cold in its streets with the sleep thick in the corners of the eyes in their unwashed faces.

But I love winter in Gauteng with a passion. Not because she is pretty but because that is who she is. Because she is quiet and the season of looking inward. The season of stripping all excess. She is the woman who sits peacefully knitting in front of the fireplace, glancing at you as you come in and sit down. And after some sweet silence she’ll say: “What’s the matter?” And you tell her.

I love her because she is so overlooked and undervalued. Because she suits my temperament and I am totally me during this season. I do not love winter on an intellectual level. It goes much deeper. Where words become dumb and clumsy and where in the end you only sit with the knowing. The knowing that you gently cherish when others do not understand.

I feel about winter the way the mother with the daughter that doesn’t fit in at school must feel. You braid her thin hair with care and stare in amazement at her where she is walking away in the slender, frail body. You ache inside because you know about her loneliness at school and the cutting remarks. You ache because they do not take note of her and they do not know. Sometimes you hug her, without warning, so that she looks up in surprise at you with eyes the crisp blue colour of her sky. You kiss her on her frost white forehead.

Winter arrived this week in Gauteng.

Last night, as I got into bed, she did the kissing. The tips of my ears, my bald spot. I shrieked and pulled the blankets over my head. She smiled and went to the chair in the corner of my room where she sat down. During the night I was aware of her lovingly looking at me, sometimes getting up and stroking my hair.

I missed her.


~ ~ * ~ ~

Winter has
a loving heart
but struggles
from the start.
Her kisses
being icy cold
make people say:
"Let's keep apart."


George

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda