Skip to main content

Mellow yellow May


I simply cannot resist running for my camera as luscious May parades her golden hues wherever I go. The potted lemon and the huge mulberry in my back yard are vying for my attention, each glorious in her own right. In a much loved fruit bowl, some ruby grapefruit (a gift from MaTshepo, the rain harvester who grows them organically and with only rain water as irrigation) glows against the warm wood of the table. At a recent drumming circle (our first) a fire dancer had me trying new settings with my camera, it being quite a challenge to capture the magical mood of the fiery movements.

I seem to be soaked in yellow. Happy, sunny Yellow! Which, according to my copy of The healing powers of Chromotherapy (using colours to cure diseases) by Hari Om Gupta, "represents intelligence, wisdom and loyalty. Yellow has been associated with the divine symbols of creation since time immemorial."

I'm not too sure what that implies, but it makes me feel happy and hopeful, even though I know all of this signal the end of summer. Soon the last golden leaf will drop from the mulberry and become part of the browning carpet beneath the wide boughs.

But then the bright crested barbers will come, sunning themselves on the bare branches, and the olive thrush with its orange bill. Just yesterday, I saw a female sunbird preening herself among the mulberry's autumn foliage,her chest a soft buttery yellow, blending in perfectly with the colours of her boudoir.

I think I'll knit myself something soft and warm in these shades this winter.

Matilda

~ o ~

Reading Matilda's yellow piece and looking at the beautiful photos accompanying it, I was reminded of Vincent van Gogh's absolute fascination with yellow. In his own words: "How lovely yellow is!"

Fellow artist Paul Gauguin once remarked, "Oh yes! he loved yellow, this good Vincent."

This good M of mine has an eye and is in good company.


Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh


George



Comments

  1. Did you notice yellow smells like lemon scented rays of sun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I have a favourite little poem (origin and author unknown) with the title "I asked the little boy who cannot see". I think I will post it as it sums up beautifully how colours speak to more than our visual sense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (95)

Stil In Die Gemaal Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek In opera kry mens dikwels hierdie stiltes vervleg met 'n veel onstuimiger agtergrond. Lied aan die Maan  van Antonin Dvorak is 'n mooi voorbeeld. Met liefde. En die begeerte dat dit iets van God se groot liefde reflekteer. George & Matilda