Skip to main content

Beautiful




As if you were on fire from within.
The moon lives in the lining of your skin.

                                                                           Pablo Neruda


“Cold weather we’re having, isn’t it?”

She asked me while writing out the invoice for the steel I had just purchased. The small office was crammed with boxes and pieces that awaited collection. A dirty poster against the wall showed the components of lorry suspensions.

“Yes” I said “and apparently the worst is yet to come over this weekend.”

Without looking up she said: “Fortunately we leave earlier on a Friday afternoon. I told my husband this morning, ‘This is ideal soup weather.’ On my way home I am going to buy soup meat, so I can make us some this evening. But first I have another appointment.”

The way she mentioned it was an invitation for enquiry.

“What do you have to do before buying the meat?”

“I’m getting a tattoo.”

Was I interested enough to follow the lead? Was she worth the trouble with a life that deserved closer attention? Would I venture further into this conversation by asking the question that begged to be asked? I could sense her anticipation as she was still writing earnestly without looking up.

I was, she was and I intended to. So I did.

“What type of tattoo?”

It was the safest question I could think of under the circumstances. I didn’t want to start with “Where?”

“It’s going to be a tattoo of a chain of Celtic knots with a name tag on my wrist. My sister died two years ago and I still struggle to get over it. Her name is going to be tattooed onto the tag. In that way I am constantly carrying a reminder of her with me.”

By now she had stopped writing and was demonstrating excitedly about the procedure at the afternoon’s appointment. I was hanging on her lips.

“But doesn’t it hurt?”

“Only a little for the first three days. But the guy who is doing it is a real pro. He has done my other tattoos as well.”

“You have others?”

Somewhere along the line we’ve passed the point of good manners and I’ve forgotten my mother’s insistence that I must know the limitations of my inquisitiveness.

“Yes, three. One on my shoulder, one on my lower back and one on my ankle. They say once you’ve started you’re hooked.”

“How much does it cost?”

“It depends. If it is complicated you pay more. The small one on my shoulder was R450, the one on my ankle R500 and the bigger one on my lower back R1 150. The one that I am going to get this afternoon will cost me R400. The guy who is doing it is a real artist. I see the money I spend on my body as an investment in beauty.”

“I would love to see the one from this afternoon next time I come by.”

“Sure. Sometimes I check up on orders in the workshop, but just ring the bell. Someone will answer and they’ll call me.”

She handed me my invoice and smiled.

As I stepped out into the cold I did so as a man warmed from within. As if I just had this strange, lovely cup of soup. It had the colour of ink.



George


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda