Skip to main content

A dash of colour

After reading George's post yesterday, Feeling of all ordinary human life, I was reminded of a piece I wrote around the same time, five years ago, August 2008, that is. My youngest son was still in school, but other than that nothing much has changed. And winter still gets to me just as it did then.
This year's jasmine galaxy against the bluest sky
                                          
Sometimes, there’s not a thing in my head that seems to be worthy of putting words to it. And sometimes there are things in my head that are much too abstract to envelope them in words and post them to where my consciousness can receive them and go: “Aah! So that’s what this is all about!”
      Today seems to be one of those not-worthy-of-words days where I sit around inside my head, shifting restlessly from one un-noteworthy thing to the other: Washing needs to be done, cats need to be groomed, tax form must be completed, and most urgent of all un-noteworthy things that has the power to ruin my day: something needs to be done about my hair; it’s as ratty as the mood I’m in!
      It’s Monday morning, and it’s coming down, just like Chris Kristoffersen used to sing in his slightly hungover manner. Only hís was a Sunday morning, remember?
      I had a good mind to go right back to bed after doing the school round. To just play dead and not move a muscle except for the involuntary ones; heart pumping and lungs doing their in/out thing. Tired? No, not really. I had a perfectly relaxing week-end.
      I think I have the winter blues. Why would they be called so, I wonder? Monday blues, winter blues, Blues music. Katie Melua sings about wearing her blue shoes.
    
Her voice sounds blue,
So see;
it must be true:
blue
must be
the off-colour hue.

O my word! Now I’m composing poetry! Not a good sign. Better get myself outside and away from mirrors and keyboards reflecting my morbid state of mind. I recently read an article on the SAD condition. No, it’s not exactly being unhappy, although it is one of the known symptoms. Very common condition too. It’s estimated that about one in five of us show typical symptoms during the winter months of Seasonal Affective Disorder. SAD, see!
      As daylight decreases we become more irritable, lethargic, we sleep longer, crave comfort foods and usually gain weight. You too?!
      It is suggested that one gets as much direct daylight as possible, increase Omega 3 fatty acids in the diet and maintain a constant blood sugar level by eating foodstuffs with a low GI.
      They say nothing of procrastination though. So SAD or no, the washing needs to be done! I’ll take this bundle and hang it out to dry. Give it a good shake. How pretty these rosebud flannels are!
       It’s rather windy. August already. “A williwaw is blowing today” my Irish grandmother would say. I turn my face to the sun, and peeping through my lashes, I turn the world into golden shafts that glisten in wispy strands of hair being blown hither and thither. If I could bottle this! The label would read:  

All Natural
Magical highlights.
Recommended for ratty hair and moods.
Take as needed.

I breathe in deeply. No rain in the air yet. But something else – a familiar sweetness. Let’s follow that. Let’s play Bee.
      O, there! See! The jasmine’s coming into bloom. Thousands of tickle pink pinheads unfolding into tiny, white stars; a fragrant galaxy.
      The sun feels good on my back. Let’s stay here for a while. What? Really? A dash of colour in my cheeks? You’ll catch me smiling any moment now!
       I’ll make us some fruit salad to celebrate the new season’s birth. With strawberries from the patch and an orange from the tree. Soon there will be some early peaches and plums. Yes, why not? Let’s strew some jasmine flowers over.
      Aah! So that’s what this is all about! All I had to do was to go outside and collect the mail. Beautiful envelopes delivered through my senses to tell me in little dashes of colour that blue is only one of the many hues of life. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I bet it will be something bright. SAD? Maybe, but nothing a little colour won’t set right.   
(2008)

Matilda









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda