Skip to main content

Of Woodropes and Android backs


Android back chairs
Boksburg, Gautengover a week ago
R500
We make good furniture
I’m browsing for two single beds to replace the double bed in one of our guest rooms. It being a room in a century + 9 year old house, I feel it is befitting to fit it out with something truly antique and beautiful. But cheap, in keeping with our non-existing budget for interior decorating.

As luck would have it, old, solid and often antique furniture is not in vogue in South Africa and there are loads to choose from on the myriad of Classified sites and of course, facebook’s Marketplace. The prices are often really ridiculous and if I had the money, we would have a storeroom full of beautiful antique rocking chairs, solid oak headboards, antique dressers, wardrobes and an oddment of beautifully crafted chairs to die for.

“Look at this!” I show George. "Can’t we make a garden gate out of this wrought iron bedstead? And see this really old dilapidated table with the lichen growing on it? It is more than a 100 years old. My pottery will look stunning on this. How do we get it here from Parys?”

And so I ramble on. Getting lost in the aisles of this vast Marketplace. Me, who has to be dragged to  town to do the necessary shopping!

It is dangerous, really. Because it is truly addictive. The rush I feel when a real bargain comes up is quite something, even if it is something I don’t need or really don’t even like much. I just know that it is worth much more than the asking price and it seems like such an investment!

Sometimes it is just the romantic notion of it. I can just picture the set of Android back (Adirondeck!) chairs down on the bank of the river under the huge Ouhout tree. It even comes with a footrest!

So I limit myself to a leisurely browse after lunch as I lie on the couch before starting on the afternoon shift in the studio.

Soon I start noticing that I get more than I bargain for: in between the usual garage clean-ups and relocation sales, there are gems. 

“Wouldn’t you just love a headboard in Origin Pine?” I innocently ask George. “Or how about another woodrope for our room? I really don’t have enough room for my clothes in the ones we have. See this headboard in Imbuia wood? It includes a set of Pedastils! And this one in Oak has Pastels!”

“But alright, if I have to make a choice, I prefer having the Beatiful Antique Wrighting Bureau or the antique Singer Sawing machine, but maybe I should call for more imfo like they suggest?”
“These Wingback chairs are still in such a good condition. All it needs is to be freshly upholestred.”

We have a good laugh, drink our tea, take our cat nap and head off to go make beautiful things not to be found in the Marketplace. Not yet, anyway.

Matilda



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (66)

  Retreat   Die Gesprek  Elemente Uit Die Gesprek  Musiek Met ons liefde. George & Matilda 

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (99)

  'n Duisend Hande Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek ~ ❖ ~ "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative [or creation] there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way." W.H. Murray, Skotse ontdekkingsreisiger ~ ❖ ~ Cause of Death Uitstalling Ariana in vervoering  Musiek Wanneer jy dinge nie so krampagtig probeer beheer nie, jou oorgee aan die vloei van gebeure en oop is vir die onverwagte, kan jy saam met Ian McKellen sing. Ian McKellen gee nie om saam met wie hy sing nie, solank hy dit net kan doen.

Vanuit Die Restory - Gesprekke Tussen Reisgenote (110)

Die Week Na 'n Dood Sebastien op sy gelukkigste - by water, besig om vis te vang Die Gesprek Elemente Uit Die Gesprek Musiek Sebastien het altyd gesê, "I like old music.' Hy het. Billy Joel se Piano Man  was vir baie lank die ringtone op sy foon. Dat ons só gelukkig kan wees, dankie Sebas. George & Matilda