Matthew Fox's book, Original Blessing, is a primer in Creation Spirituality. I came across this piece of wisdom in the section of the book that explores Path III, Befriending creativity, Befriending our divinity: The Via Creativa.
I know from my own experience that this is the simple truth. Somehow, when I have clay on my hands, I come alive and feel connected to God. I feel no fear or insecurities when I'm immersed in the process of creating something.
Matthew Fox states it this way:
What churches need to do now to renew self and society is to take spirituality seriously; this means taking art seriously. Not art for the sake of art; not art for the sake of making banners or teapots; not art for sale. But art as prayer, art as meditation. Only art as meditation allows one to let go of art as production a la capitalism and return to art as process, which is the spiritual experience that creativity is about. Only art as meditation reminds people so that they will never forget that the most beautiful thing a potter produces is ... the potter.
From Original Blessing by Matthew Fox
Publisher: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam - http://www.us.penguingroup.
Matilda

Comments
Post a Comment