| Red-headed weaver Photo by Matilda |
We spent the weekend with old and new friends at a game breeder's lodge between Brits and Thabazimbi. It is in the North West Province of South Africa and slap bang in what we call the bushveld. As children of Africa it takes quite a lot to amaze us. Impala, buffalo, gnu (wildebeest) and sables are nothing new to us, even though we might not have seen them more than once or twice in our lives. Even a lion's roar at night might irritate more than awe us when we wake up to it deep in the night.
But an Egoli Gnu and a Midnight Impala, now that is something to cause a stir among us. These are line crossings and much sought after because they are so rare: a caramel coloured gnu with a golden mane and an impala that seems to be in the shade even though it is running in the full glare of the early morning sun, those are subjects to talk about, blog about, and to try and capture on film.
My attempts at that failed miserably. I do not have the necessary equipment to film wildlife of that calibre out in the wild, stampeding away from the jeep.
So I was most grateful for this little red-headed weaver who allowed me close enough to reach out and touch it if I so wished. I wordlessly kept telling it that my lens do not shoot anything harmful and that I wanted to get as close as possible in order to hear what he had to convey to me. He was working away unperturbed at weaving a new apartment adjacent to two others, fixed securely to the overhang of the thatched roof of the communal kitchen.
I think what he was saying is that he has come to trust humans. It seems to be his third season just outside the back door where people come and go regularly. He sat looking at me, chirping happily before weaving in yet another dry strand into the frame of his new home.
I think he was also saying that he is doing what needs to be done in the only way he knows how to do it. I wondered why he didn't just use the previous season's nest, but apparently the little fellow's sweetheart doesn't approve of this.
I enjoyed our photo shoot immensely. I relaxed into the warmth of a weekend in the bushveld, divinely woven into a delightful, custom made tangle of comfortable lodgings, good food, great weather, sincere friendship and frequent laughter.
Was the little red-head showing me how to weave? Or rather how to be woven?
Matilda
Pragtig gese Matilda, dit was 'n onvergeetlike naweek.
ReplyDeleteJulle het ons lewe ryker gemaak.
Tot die volgende een!
Beautiful! I think we've all been woven into the intricate and breathtaking web of a lasting friendship...
ReplyDeleteThank you! Your comments made me think of Anais Nin's words on friendship:
ReplyDelete"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only in this meeting that a new world is born."